In December 2019, GHC collaborated with Calgary Female Sport Development Association (CFSDA) on their bid to The City of Calgary to take over the operations and tenancy of Great Plains Recreation Facility. CFSDA was awarded the contract in April 2020.
- CFSDA is the parent Association to the Southern Alberta Women’s Hockey Association (SAWHA)
- GHC is excited to explore this opportunity with CFSDA in whatever ways it may benefit our members!
- This will not affect GHC’s current ice contracts and storage space.
- GHC does not have any financial obligations in the operations of Great Plains.
- Facility operations are on hold at the moment due to COVID-19.
- More exciting details to come!
Calgary Female Sport Development Association (CFSDA) is a not for profit organization committed to ensuring women, girls and underrepresented populations have access to ice sports in Calgary, located in Great Plains Recreation Facility.
SAWHA was established more than 23 years ago for women age 18+ to play recreational hockey in Calgary. SAWHA has 55+ teams in seven tiers, with over 1,000 active members registered in the league. The 2019-20 season saw SAWHA schedule over 1,000 games, playing in 22 arenas within the City of Calgary and in eight arenas within 150 km of Calgary. SAWHA is focused and committed to the development and growth of female hockey.